2-DAY Pre-K and K-5 Workshop (3 workshops)
Attend additional workshops on the same weekend and save $130.00
The award-winning Get Set for School® curriculum uses lively music and playful activities to teach number concepts, geometry, sequencing, phonemic awareness, vocabulary, and concepts about print.
The Get Set for School Pre-K Readiness & Writing Workshop is an introductary level class.
The K-5 Handwriting Workshop provides dynamic instruction in the teaching methodology from kindergarten through cursive. Includes an introduction to the developmental progression of written production skills, from handwriting to keyboarding!
The K-5 Handwriting Workshop is an intermediate level class.
- Plan your instruction based on developmental stages for writing readiness
- Model activities that develop important social-emotional skills, including body awareness, taking turns, and sharing
- Practice using Wood Piece Play to teach size, shape, and position concepts for pre-writing and sensory motor skills
- Identify how music and hands-on play can boost capital and lowercase letter recognition
- Experience our step-by-step approach to effectively teach coloring skills
- Use Hands-On Letter Play to build beginning habits for letter and number formations
- Use My First School Book to help children progress from tracing their letters and numbers to writing their names
- Readiness & Writing Pre-K Teacher's Guide
- My First School Book Pre-K activity book
- Sing Along CD – Get Set for School
- Roll-A-Dough Letters®
- Stamp and See Screen®
- Mat for Wood Pieces
- Wood Pieces Set for Capital Letters
- Slate Chalkboard
- Canvas Bag
Your Registration Includes: 3.5 Total Contact Hours $125 in Total Free Materials
- Identify the importance of incorporating the handwriting process, the stages of learning, and active teaching into a handwriting lesson
- Model essential foundation skills prior to paper and pencil, including readiness, directionality, positional concepts, and correct pencil grip
- Discuss how effective handwriting lessons include developmental and multisensory teaching strategies
- Distinguish between our two handwriting assessments, the Screener of Handwriting Proficiency and The Print Tool, to evaluate student's handwriting abilities
- Describe common handwriting problems and apply simple, effective remediation techniques
- Review the importance of teaching handwriting using current research, the Common Core State Standards, and other standards
- Letters and Numbers For Me
- My Printing Book
- Printing Power Plus workbook set
- Cursive Handwriting
- Cursive Success
- Can-Do Cursive
- Kindergarten Teacher's Guide
- 1st Grade Printing Teacher's Guide
- 2nd Grade Printing Teacher's Guide
- 3rd Grade Cursive Teacher's Guide
- 4th Grade Cursive Teacher's Guide
- Rock, Rap, Tap, & Learn CD
- Blackboard with Double Lines
|8:00 a.m.||Registration: Coffee and pastries|
|Get Set for School: The importance of a hands-on multisensory readiness curriculum to prepare children for school success|
|Pre-K Readiness: Social skills and the developmental stages of writing, hand skills, and crayon grip|
|Drawing: Mat Man®, shapes, music, and demonstration|
|Alphabet Knowledge: Hands-on materials, My First School Book, capital and lowercase letter recognition|
|Colors and Coloring: Crayon skills, developmental progression from scribbling to coloring and drawing|
|Pre-Writing: Wood Piece Play for capitals, multisensory activities for capitals|
|Writing: Developmental teaching order, trace capital letters, write names, number skills, and formation|
|Review and Resources: Review what you have learned, check readiness, additional resources for continued learning|
Location & LodgingDoubletree Detroit
5801 Southfield Expressway
Detroit, MI 48228
**Handwriting Without Tears does not reserve a block of overnight rooms**
DirectionsFrom the West (I-94): I-94 East to M-39 North (Southfield Freeway) to Ford Rd. (Exit 7) West. Once on Ford Rd. West, at 2nd light turn right.
From the West (I-96): I-96 East to M-39 South (Southfield Freeway) to Ford Rd. (Exit 7) West. Once on Ford Rd. West, at 1st light turn right.
From the East (I-94): I-94 West to M-39 North (Southfield Freeway) to Ford Rd. (Exit 7) West. Once on Ford Rd. West, at 2nd light turn right.
From the South (I-75): I-75 North to M-39 North (Southfield Freeway) to Ford Rd. (Exit 7) West. Once on Ford Rd. West, at 2nd light turn right.
From the South (US-24): US-24 (Telegraph Rd) to Ford Rd. East (Right Turn) and travel . 3 mi., turn left just before Southfield Freeway entrance.
From the North (I-75): I-75 South to I-696 West to M-39 South (Southfield Freeway) to Ford Rd. (Exit 7) West. Once on Ford Rd. West, at 2nd light turn right.
Parking: Call the workshop venue for more information regarding parking availability and fees.
DiningGrille39 – onsite
Chili's – 5707 Southfield Rd
Wendy's – 18430 Ford Rd
Red Robin Gourmet Burgers – 18650 Ford Rd
Tijuana's Authentic Mexican Kitchen – 18950 Ford Rd
Register online and provide us with your email address and we will email you a confirmation and receipt when we process your registration. We will then email you workshop details 10 days prior to the workshop date. If you do not have access to an email account, we will mail you your receipt and workshop details 10 days prior to the workshop date.
We accept school purchase orders via mail and fax. Download Registration Form
If you have any special requests (preferred area, handicap access needs, etc.) please call our office (402.492.2766) to discuss these requests.
Get Set for School and Handwriting Without Tears reserves the right to cancel or change a class at any time, including but not limited to, lack of participation or trainer availability. Registrants will not be charged for the course.
Get Set for School and Handwriting Without Tears reserve the right to use all media from this workshop (photos, videos, etc.) in print and online advertising. Please notify us in writing if you do not wish to be included. You must be 18 years or older to attend our professional workshops. Children and infants may not be brought to workshops.
You may cancel up to ten days prior for a $35 cancellation fee.
Email a Workshop Coordinator